Saturday, December 28, 2013

Cuban Imperial Rice for a Party of 50!








First thing you want to do is put the chicken(leg quarters) in a big pot and cover with water, add salt and bring to a boil. Let it cook on medium high until the chicken is falling off the bone, about an hour.


I used two big pots, 8 leg quarters in each pot.  Btw, I have used these aluminum pots for many years for cooking Cuban dishes and more.  You find them in the Cuban section at the supermarket, and they are great for cooking beans, rice, soups and stews.  They come in all sizes, but these big ones are awesome for cooking for a lot of people. 


While the chicken is cooking start dicing your 3 green peppers, 3 red peppers, 6-7 medium yellow onions, and about 10 cloves of garlic.

These are the other ingredients you will need, plus Cumin and mayonaisse.

I put my chicken in a very clean sink to cool.  Then I proceeded to take off the skin, which I discarded and then take the chicken off the bone.  It was not the fun part:(.

That's a lot of chicken, guys. I used all dark meat because that's what my family likes.  You could just boil whole chickens if you want white and dark meat.

Don't forget to save the broth you cooked the chicken in.

Sautee the sofrito (peppers, onions, & garlic) in olive oil.  Add the garlic the last 5 minutes.  

Add the chicken, 5 bay leaves, 4 teaspoons of dried oregano, 4 teaspoons of cumin, 2 cups of dry white wine, 2-3 cans of tomato sauce, 4 chicken boullion cubes, and salt and pepper to taste.  Add a little of the chicken broth.  Don't forget the boullion cubes have salt.  Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.


Now while that is simmering you want to make the rice.  One cup of rice, 2 cups of broth.  This is 6 cups of rice.  I had to make two pots of 6 cups each.  I used short grain rice. It's a little wetter/gummier, but you can use long grain.  I added 4 packets of Sazon (for flavor) and a few teaspoons of Bejol (powdered yellow coloring), which gives it the bright yellow color.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Bring the rice to a boil, cover, lower the heat, and cook for 25-30 minutes without removing the cover.  When it's done add 3-4 tablespoons of mayonaisse to the rice and mix well.  


Put a layer of rice on the bottom of the tray.  Then a layer of the chicken.

Then another layer of rice.

Then you put the cheese on top.  I chose this cheese (package of shredded three cheese mix with parmesan)  and it was awesome....yummy!


Put it in a 350 degree oven until the cheese melts.


And that's all folks!


It didn't take them long to dig in.....as you can see.  It was really good.....if I do say so myself!!!!!




So there you have it.  Hope you try it for your family get together.

I Wish You Love,

Joycee


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something you would like to say? Please do. ♥

Hollywood Beach Summer 2010