Saturday, December 13, 2014

Little ducklings are coming.....

This momma duck or hen is right outside the apartment and she's been nesting for a couple of weeks now, I think.   Hopefully I can get some pics of the eggs if she leaves the nest for food and water.



I was a little worried about her last week when we had a few cool nights and the temperature dropped into the 40"s, but she's fine.  Those feathers are keeping every one just as warm as can be.

She's keeping her eye on me.  I think she picked this fern garden because it's a safe spot.  There are a lot of squirrels around here and they don't come to this part of the building much, they stay mostly around the big trees.


This is the first time I have ever seen a momma duck nesting.  I'm excited!


I don't really know much about the incubation process or time.  Nor do I know how long she's been there, she just surprised me one evening.  I hadn't noticed her before.  So I did a little research:

The hen usually lays about a dozen or more eggs before she will start to incubate them. Although the eggs accumulate in the nest at the rate of about one per day, the incubation process begins at the same time, when the hen begins sitting.  It takes about a month for the eggs to start hatching. Once they start hatching the survivors will be hatched within 24 hours.




So now I check her out everytime I come and go.  She's right outside my door.
I try not to startle her.  I'm sure she would protect those eggs.  I don't want to see an aggressive, agitated momma duck!!!!

  
Hopefully I can get some more pics and keep you up to date.  I know I'll be watching.

To be continued....

IWYL,

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something you would like to say? Please do. ♥

Hollywood Beach Summer 2010