Monday, September 15, 2008

"Nana's Friday Night Hamburger and Beans"


I know it's Sunday, but I was really busy last week, because Nana stayed with us a whole five days. I picked her up last Monday. We both had written out very long "to do" lists, so it was step on the gas and go. We went to so many places and did so many things my mind is one big fog right now. She did not get the "heebie jeebie's" until yesterday after the yard sale when she knew she would soon be "Home Sweet Home". It was a good time, but I have to admit that yesterday we were so tired that we were getting on each other's nerves. I know she couldn't wait for me to leave when we got to her house so she could just get in her big chair, watch her TV, and grab her remote, and eat a good ole tomato sandwich. Nana was home again, and she is lovin her life right now. I know she loves being with us, but oh how she loves being home again. Hey, I can relate........... If I had to go stay at my son's house and not sleep in my own bed for five nights, I would get the "heebie jeebie's" too.

Wow, this explanation is draggin on and on, but bear with me, please. Okay, so, every Friday morning for as long as I can remember, my mom, Nana, went to the grocery store. This has been her routine for over 50 years. It has not changed. She still does it. She gets up every Friday morning around 8 am and goes to the grocery store. Since she always shopped for a week, had to plan meals for a family of five, (plus anyone else who showed up at our house), when she got home with all the food on Friday afternoon, she was not in the mood, nor did she have much time to make a big complicated meal for us. So Friday night was usually a quick meal, and one of those quick meals was "Hamburger & Beans". It is the most quick and easy recipe you'll ever make, if you decide to make it. And, it is sooooo good. At least we all loved it, Listen, Nana just wanted to get a meal on the table fast. She had starving people waiting and usually it included our cousins, friends, and neighbors. So here's Nana making "Hamburger & Beans".

Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground chuck
l-28 oz. can of Bush's Country Style Baked Beans
Salt, pepper & garlic powder to taste

Note: In Nana's original recipe, before they came out with all the different flavored baked beans, she used Campbell's Pork & Beans and added Alaga Cane Syrup to sweeten it up a bit. But, since baked beans come in so many different flavors nowadays, and the sweeteners are inlcuded, like light brown sugar, you can use Bush's Baked Beans in any flavor you like. I love spicy, so I use Bush's Bold & Spicy Baked Beans. Of course if you like Campbell's regular pork and beans, by all means use them, but don't forget the Alaga Cane Syrup, or brown sugar. Also, you can use less meat and more beans depending on how you like it. It's all a matter of taste. Okay here we go!

On medium heat start browning the ground chuck in a skillet.


Add salt.


Add pepper.


Add garlic powder.


Make sure you cook the ground chuck until all the pink is gone.

Smile and continue cooking.

Drain out the oil.


Return to medium heat and add the can of beans.



Stir together.


Simmer for about 5 minutes.

Serve with French bread or just plain ole white bread and butter, (that's the way I like it.)



I hope you like it.
Wishin ya love,

JJ

2 comments:

  1. NOw that looks good! I'm assumin' that Nana is your Grandma? Why do they always make the best food? I'll have to give this a try. Thanks to Nana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something you would like to say? Please do. ♥

Hollywood Beach Summer 2010