Saturday, March 7, 2009

It's Tomato Time


This tomato plant showed up in my backyard a couple of weeks ago. I went out to feed Lido our dog, and there she was about eight inches tall. I got so excited when I saw it I called my grandkids outside to see. They said "Mimi, God sent it to you". So I replanted it in a better place, threw some odorless cow manure on it, stuck a few stakes in the ground around it and there she is. She's growin real fast and I spotted the first buds on her this morning.




I love gardening but I'm mostly growin it for fun, and for the grandkids, and for the fact that it just showed up out of the blue, or because God sent it to me. We live so close to the tomato fields down here, (a little birdie probably dropped the seed in our yard), I can get a whole bag full of tomatoes for about two dollars. I'll keep you up-to-date on how she's doin, I'm gonna keep adding cow manure every week or so.

Love, Joyce

3 comments:

  1. How lucky that you can already grow 'mators! That is really sweet what your grandkids thought. Just wait, those will be the best tastin' 'mators they'll ever eat and they will always remember Grandma's Tomato plant from God.
    Your 'mators will be healthier too bein' home grown, no toxins used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joyce, here's a recipe that will not only go great with grilled steaks, but will show off your new crop!
    5 beefsteak tomatoes
    chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves (about 1 cup)
    3/4 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
    1 cup grated provolone
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon butter, softened
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees; cut the tomatoes in half, horizontally and hollow out (discard seeds and reserve pulp). Chop the reserved pulp and put in a medium bowl. Add the parsley, bread crumbs, cheese, and pepper and mix gently to combine. Place the tomato halves in a buttered casserole dish, and fill with the bread crumb mixture. Drizzle the top of the tomatoes with olive oil. Bake until the tops are browned, about 20 minutes. ENJOY!
    Betty

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something you would like to say? Please do. ♥

Hollywood Beach Summer 2010