Saturday, January 31, 2009

Real Good Chili


Okay, here's my Chili Recipe for all of you complaining about how "chilly" it's been the last two days. It'll warm you up, I guarantee!!!!! So here goes, this is what you'll need.


Ingredients:

4 medium-size yellow onions, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
1/4 cup olive oil
l teaspoon oregano
2 bay leaves
2 pounds ground chuck
1/4 cup chili powder
1 (1lb.12oz) can tomatoes(do not drain)
3 (1lb.4oz) cans light red kidney beans (do not drain)
Note: Chili beans instead of the light red kidney
beans also work well with the recipe, and will
add a bit more spice to it. It's up to you.
2 teaspoons of salt
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed hot red chili peppers


I forgot to put my "Good Luck Bunny" in the pic with the ingredients, as I always want to include the cutie, so here he is. I must think of a name for him soon. Maybe someone out there can suggest a name for him???? Please give it a try at least!!! Okay sorry, I'll get back to the recipe. Now, the first thing we need to do is chop up the onions like this. Watch those finger tips please :)

Now, saute the onions in the olive oil in a large heavy kettle like this one that my mom gave me, and her mom gave her, and so on and so on, over medium heat. About 10 minutes until golden.

Meanwhile, chop up the garlic.

Add the chopped garlic to the kettle.

Back to this kettle for a moment, which is called Guardian Ware. It's as old as the hills. This particular kettle, belonged to my Grandma Daisy, who after many years of use, broke down and gave it to my mom, and then I had to beg my mom for it, because she just didn't want to part with it either. So I would say that the thing is probably about 50 years old. And for 50 years old, it's in damn good shape. I just want to know where the rest of the set went. Nobody wants to talk about it.
Add oregano, bay leaves, and beef and saute, breaking up the meat, about 10 minutes until the beef is no longer pink.




Add 2 tablespoons chili powder, tomatoes, 2 cans of the beans and simmer, uncovered, over low heat, 1-1/2 hours. Give it a stir every now and then.
After it has simmered for 1-1/2 hours add remaining can of beans.

Add the vinegar.

Add the remaining chili powder.

Add the salt.


Last, add the "crushed hot red chili peppers".

Isn't there a band named something like that??

Now stir it up and let it simmer for another 15 minutes.

After that, you can serve it up, with saltine crackers. I know some wonderful people who would tell you to put a nice piece of cornbread at the bottom of the bowl and top with the chili, and shredded cheddar cheese. I made white rice, and my munchkins had a little rice at the bottom of the bowl, then a nice scoop of chili, and sprinkled some shredded cheddar cheese on top.

However you you want to do it is fine and dandy with me.


This chili does not come out very spicy, so if you like it "spicy hot" just add more red peppers or whatever you like to make it more spicy. I hope you enjoy it.


And, for all ya'll who can't take the little bit of chilly weather we've been having lately, make this chili and stop complaining, it's gonna be back in the 80's by Monday.


All My Love To You And Yours,


Joyce aka Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something you would like to say? Please do. ♥

Hollywood Beach Summer 2010